If you’ve seen my last post on the ‘7 Trends To Ditch’, you’re probably wondering what trends I’m actually cool with! So here goes:
- Stripes- No, they don’t make you look like a jailbird. They’re like the obeah of the fashion world, that and waist trainers (that’s a story for another time). But seriously, you ever wanted that long lean Wendy Fitzwilliams looking body? Then vertical stripes should be your friend. They add the illusion of a longer , leaner body as the eye scans up and down instead of side to side. The ole folks say horizontal make you look bigger (wider), I say disrupting those lines (typically at the waist or smallest point) can help you appear slimmer. Don’t limit thin and pin stripes to your work suits, they too have a slimming effect on the body while larger stripes are more prone to highlighting problem areas so be mindful of that. Ultimately stripes belong in your wardrobe so if you don’t have them, you know what to do 😉.
(Images- Fashionmagazine.com/ Glamradar.com)
- Athleisure Wear- Lemme tell you all one time, living in a tropical climate is sometimes a serious struggle between comfort and style because hobo chic could happen very easily. But Hallelujah for Athleisure! The ‘rules’ are simple, please don’t wear your old beat up Chucks, instead you can try a nice crisp sneaker with colour detailing or even embellishments to add some fun. Sport jackets and jeans, dresses and sneakers, joggers and crop tops they can all work just not all the sport pieces at once or else you’re just looking like you’re going to work out. The trick is to find a balance between the sport and casual but try to avoid oversized pieces because you’ll just look messy (in my JoanneTheScammer voice). Stay casual- cool and comfy!
(Images- Getty Images/ Gurl.com/ WhoWhatWear )
- Mixed Prints- The queen of mixed prints HANDS DOWN is Solange, and you could be the princess. For some its a bit difficult and yes its very easy to look like the highway on a morning (BUSY) but there’s a method (kinda) to this madness. One easy way to do this is by sticking with the same colour family like Solange in the second pic with shades of blue. Another easy way to mix prints is by pairing a large print with a small one so that the outfit doesn’t overwhelm you. If the idea of print mixing still scares you, you could start off by pairing a print you really love with a bold solid colour and then work your way up from there. My advice: just have fun with it🎉.
(Images- 360Nobs/ Zimbio/ DressMeOutlet/ Harper’s Bazzar )
- Off-Shoulder- Flirtacious, fun and just the thing for this heat we’ve been having. Its a great balance to show some skin without reaching heaux status even though some of us could hear our grannies saying ‘Cover your back child, you will catch cold.’ Its okay granny we’re just casually slayin. Off shoulder is a dynamic style as it could be asymmetric, straight across, have puffed sleeves, come with a thin strap or just barely expose the shoulders for that peek-a-boo look. Off shoulder could be that Friday night drinks outfit, Saturday night club dress or Sunday brunch date jumper. Who wouldn’t love such a dynamic piece?
(Images- Concrete Runway/ Style Pantry/ WhoWhatWear/ Star Celebrity Dresses)
- Flared Pants- these aren’t your average pant, flares give you that model-esque stature because it makes the legs appear longer especially in heels. The the trick is to have the hem them justttt enough to skim to the ground. The perfect fit gently hugs the knee and then flares to give just enough drama and those mile long legs. Another general idea is when you have one flowing piece so try to keep the other closely fitted. So with flares opt for some closer fitted blouses, anything loose fitting is chartering into Hippie/ Boho territory. What’s also great about these are that it works for all body types, for example, for bottom heavy pear-shapes it streamlines the leg by making the hips looks smaller. But really its for everyone, so lemme see those flares!
(Images- Latte Samuels/ Young At Style/ Pinterest/ Style Pantry)
- ‘Millenial Pink’- I could hear the collective ‘wah d a** is that?’ Its a range of colours from pink-based beige to a peach/salmon/coral sorta pink but truly started out as a toned down version of Barbie pink. Once upon a time I was not a fan of pink but things have changed now. From rose gold phones to Rihanna’s Fenty line filled with MP it seems like Pantone’s colour of the year for 2016 might stick around well into 2017. Pink these days is a pretty gender-neutral colour so its popping up all over and I for one appreciate it!
(Images- Pinterest/ NYMag/ Puma)
- Wrap Clothing- DVF changed the fashion game when she created the wrap dress. Now, wrap clothing has taken on a life of its own from skirts to shirts to shorts, they wrappin’ everything outchea. These pieces have a sophistication that you hardly see coming but its definitely there. They create curves and accentuate the body in the most magical of ways depending on how and where you tie them. A lot of times these pieces can be worn in so many ways you like you’re wearing a different piece each time, so you better get wrapping.
(Images- Officially Adrian Foster/ Style Pantry/ Getty Images/ Pinterest)
These are just a few of my faves at the moment( Its clear from this list I’m not an accessories person *hides face*) and its in no way exhaustive!
Do you have some fashion faves? Leave them in the comments💕