Every woman dreams of having the perfect wardrobe. The ability to open that closet door and the perfect outfit would be right there, just waiting for you accessories and all. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work that way and so we have the task of putting together complementary pieces day in, day out. BUT! it doesn’t have to be a task.

First things first, all wardrobes require practicality, if you’re living in Trinidad I’m pretty sure you don’t need a floor length fur coat.

But yes, on to practicality, if you spend more than 60% of your week in a formal work/office setting then your wardrobe may/ should reflect that. Therefore the other 40% should be a well put together weekend/ casual wardrobe that doesn’t make you feel like your’re still at the office. Of course the #1 must have here is a power suit! but before you go for black consider something in another neutral like navy blue or even white (like the set below). Outside of that be sure to have a great pair of jeans that fit you body type ( and yes you can also tailor jeans because the legs can be too long or the waist too big). When it comes to shoes if you’re stationary most of the time then heels are just fine, however if you move around quite a bit or there’s stairs that go on forever go for some ballet flats or kitten heels instead.

set8work

 

If most of your days are spent in a more casual setting your wardrobe should be practical for this. Try to stay away from pieces that are too heavy if you move around a lot. It also helps to get pieces that can easily transition from day to night or from one event to the next effortlessly. The top in the sets below is a good example of a versatile piece. A button down and a well-fitting dark wash jeans are also versatile as is cardigans and ballet flats. Accessories also become your best friend as they either make an outfit more casual or more formal based on how you style it. Have a few statement pieces such as a necklace and bracelet for casual occasions and perhaps a small layered necklace or one with a small pendant and a watch or simple bracelet for more formal affairs.

set6 tp2 tp3

University students also know the fine line that sometimes exists between school clothes and clothing for other occasions. But know it is definitely important to make the distinction between the two being a university student myself. Cardigans are a great choice as a lot of us have cold classrooms to deal with. Avoid things that are too low cut or too fitted or even too short ( its school you’re going to not a club). V neck t-shirts are also a great investment as they can last through the school year and to avoid it looking too homely you can accessorize with a cute necklace, great jean, some strappy sandals and a cardigan. A blazer is also a great investment for when we have those in class presentations or even internship positions, there’s always use for a blazer. Sundresses are also a cool, easy wearable piece for those warmer days and can be paired with sandals, ballet flats or for the daring a very low wedge. Because college life usually involves a lot of walking, running or stairs a pair of sneakers that you’re comfortable in and are also quite stylish is a great buy! Most importantly though, be comfortable because its the worst thing to be sitting in a lecture for 3 hours and your clothing is uncomfortable!

skl

One thought on “Be Practical!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *