Self care entails many different things, for many different people. For me, a daily skincare routine just before bed is the peace and comfort I need just before I drift off into dreamland. It also pays to know what skin type you have so finding products/ a routine that works for your becomes a little bit easier.
For me, my forehead tends to get oily, but everywhere else is a dry mess, so, most of the products I use give me loads of hydration and moisture and keep me that way all day!
Currently, I’ve employed the Korean 10-Step skin care process which for me , goes a little something like this:
1. Oil-Based Cleanser– this step really helps with removing makeup and other impurities. For me, I hardly wear makeup so I tend to use some coconut oil on a cotton pad to remove mascara especially. Grapeseed or Jojoba oil are also really great to use if you’re not getting a cleanser and just need help loosening that makeup.
2. Water-Based Cleanser– this breaks down dirt and sweat and picks up what the oil cleanser might have missed. I use the Epielle Micellar Cleansing Water that I pick up at Pennywise for around $20. I also use it for when I spot conceal since that’s usually not heavy makeup so it comes off easily. Apart from the great price, I have sensitive skin but I’ve zero problems with it- no burning, no breakouts, nothing. I also love the pump used to get the product out making life so much easier.
3. Exfoliator– this step is super duper important if you want clean, clear skin. It removes dead skin cells that tend to make you look patchy, or causes breakouts. Also, when I apply my exfoliatiing product, I massage it into my skin for about 60 seconds to make sure I get all the yucky stuff OUT! My favourite exfoliating products is the Freeman Apple Cider Vinegar Clay Mask & Scrub. It’s gentle, smells great unlike raw apple cider vinger and truly leaves my skin smoother and brighter. I also get this at Pennywise for between $30- $35.
4. Toner– now what Toner does is balances your skin’s moisture levels and restores the pH balance that all that cleansing and exfoliating threw off. My favourite product at the moment for this is the Cara Mia Toner (pictured at the centre below). Some toner’s I’ve used in the past left my face and red and itchy, but I’ve none of that with this toner. Some have also left my face ridiculously dry to the point where I could strike a match on my face, but not with this. And well my favourite part, it’s less than $30, more like $24 at Pennywise.
5. Essence– these are light and pack a punch of anti-aging, hydrating, brightening or other fixes for your skin. For me, as a dry skinned gal, I chose Hylauronic Acid, to allow my skin to remain hydrated, better. This BreyLee Hyalauronic Acid I got on Amazon for around $10 or $11 (see homepage for the link) and though I find the bottle really small (.53 fl oz) it only take about 3 to get your entire face covered and super hydrated for hours. I also use it on makeup for some extra help to not get dry patches for my foundation to cling to.
6. Treatments– this step is used to pinpoint certain problems you might have, like hyperpigmentation, wrinkles, acne and so on. Though only 26, I’ve enlisted the help of The Ordinary Alpha Lipoic Acid to fight any signs of aging that even think about appearing. They say that anti-aging care should start once you hit your twenty’s and I’ve taken that to heart just to be on the safe side. Locally here in Trinidad I’ve paid $80 which for this product. Now though I use it sparingly, sometimes it does in fact have a burning sensation at the sides of my nose, but lasts for all of half a minute and it’s done.
7. Sheet Masks– these allow your skin to absorb concentrated essences, serums or treatments by leaving on your face for some time. It also forces you to just relax and meditate while it does it’s job. Because I actually sell this type of product (see here), I’ve amassed by own personal stash which I love. My favourites are of course the ones that add moisture, hydration and leave me feeling renewed.
8. Eye Cream- the skin around your eyes are thin an delicate and so must be delicately taken care of. only recently I’ve introduced this step into my routine by way of the Olay Ultimate Eye Cream which I love so far because how thick, but not heavy it is. Under my eyes feel moisturized when applied, but not like there’s a thick layer of product on it.
9. Moisturizer– I’ve probably been using this product since university, but if it’s not broke, don’t fix it right?! Moisturizer comes in many forms, creams, gels, sleeping masks but they all have the same job. To seal in moisture and plump and smoothen skin.
10. Oils– Oils can penetrate a moisturizer, but not the other way around. So adding it after adds that extra layer to ensure you LOCK IN that moisture and your skin remains softer and more suppler for longer periods of time. For the last few months I’ve been using The Organic Essence by Mel – Rose Gold Facial Serum. It’s $100 TT and all I really need to is 2 drops to cover my entire face and I am absolutely glowing and well oiled.
I know it seems like a lot, but you’ll see a major difference once you’re consistent and have found the right products for you. It’s been about 4 months now I’ve undertaken this entire routine and surely I’ve seen change, just peep the pic below (that’s with only my day time products on-routine for that soon come). But if you have any questions feel free to inbox me, email me, DM me etc. I’d be happy to help!
Skin care products are available by the hundreds or even thousands. Dry skin, oily skin, aging skin, acne prone skin and the list seems infinite, it's difficult to make a decision on what works for you. It gets tiring especially when we're offered a barrage of chemicals way too harsh for our skin, leaving us with more problems than when we started. Worse yet, they're high end brands that seem to charge you per sq foot of skin you have.
But, what if I told you, there's local brands using all natural ingredients that consider both your skin and wallet?
Read on to get to know 6 local skin care brands hand- making organic products made for our skin AND climate, because well, they understand just how much TLC our skin really needs.
Ever dreamt of covering yourself in chocolate? Say no more fam- PG is here to make dream that a reality with their line of cocoa infused scrubs, body butters and soaps. This line of products inspired by matriarch, Philippa has such a strong connection to family that getting a hold of it releases nostalgia of your mum or grandma slathering you in coconut oil as a child. Alas, this isn't grandma's coconut oil but skin care to enrich both the soul and skin, and to make you call up those cousins you haven't seen a while.
Cover yourself in chocolate by clicking right...here
Skin care isn't just for women! (I mean, we all have skin right). But to make the guys feel special Nell is doing skin care for you too! Most popularly for the men she's doing body oils and foot soaks because let's be honest, ashy only looks good on chimneys. For the ladies, scrub, butter and mist your way to your most radiant skin and you can share with the beau or just get him his own.
Get Yo Man nice and moisturised rightttt here
Vin Natural Cosmetics
Dry, Flaky, Crusty. I didn't say what but you already know what I'm talking about- LIPS. You've been wondering why matte lipsticks look so wotless on you but so amazing on everyone else, it might be because those lips need divine intervention, ie, Vin and her lip products. With a Beet Root Balm crafted to remedy darkening lips and scrubs to stay eternally kissable, people might start speculating that you've had some work done.
To stay kissable, click here
Beauty Paradise by Ann
Ann already has a#1 skin care best-seller with her Tumeric & Lemon Peel Scrub (the tumeric is hand picked btw) formulated to say bye-bye to those dark marks and large pores. Scratch making and hand-picking is a clear sign that all her love and attention goes into moulding each individual product so that it's made just for you.
Get the coveted scrub right here
Anthea's Treasure Trove
Picture this, you're sipping a mango mojito by the beach, wind in your hair, the sound of crashing waves. Now imagine that feeling but packed into a container of body scrubs or body butter and you've got ATT. Based in Store Bay, Tobago, uncovering a jar of Sorrel & Pomegranate body scrub, or lathering up with a Caribbean Spices soap bar, you're instantly transported seaside for a full tropical skin care experience. Sunblock included! ATT combinations are nothing short of a Caribbean getaway neatly packaged and less expensive might I add.
Lather up here
Carefully concocted to create skin care mastery, Wholesome You just does what it says provide to tender-love&care. Whether you're masking, exfoliating or moisturizing your skin's best interest is at heart from the start to finish of your skin care routine, and from head to toe. Each product sounds like a potion (Egyptian Vanilla, Calendula & Sage, Cucumber & Geranium, just to name a few) designed to give you a magical outer glow and the most enchanting skin in all the land.
Become an enchantress here
A few of these brands and products I'm yet to try so look out for reviews!
My dear friends, we are gathered here today to shine the light on my absolute favourite makeup product: Highlighters✨
My closest friends know I wear makeup about 1.5 times a month, but that doesn't stop me from buying all the highlighters from golden tones to peachy shades simply because I have a problem (one I've come to terms with). Local cosmetics brand- Amerie Beautie is giving us all the highlight we need to successfully achieve the ultimate glow , I could already hear the makeup addicts in the distance shouting ' Yaaaaaas'. Handmade in pressed and liquid for every skintone and a million percent WOC friendly, totally coruscanting is unavoidable.