By now we've all heard of an Apple watch, or a Fit Bit, but, did you know since the introduction of these devices there's at least a dozen more on the market. And they do more than just allow you to see who's calling or to track your steps.
Some are monitoring the levels of UV rays you're being exposed to, digitally change face to match your outfit and even help in improving your posture. Long gone is the bulky, unappealing look of wearable tech, where they've been replaced with sleek, stylish and comfortable pieces that double as functional on a daily basis.
Check out these 5 stylish pieces of wearable tech:
- Kate Spade New York- Scallop Smartwatch
This smartwatch, compatible with both iOS and Android has that feminine touch smartwatches have been missing for the last few years. This scallop trimmed watch face has bands for every occasion like leather polka dots or florals, chic stainless steel, and rubber for those who have some more heavy duty days.
In true smartwatch fashion it can track calories, heart rate, and steps, but, you can also play music, send notifications for calls/ messages/ apps, and even make payments. But the most intriguing feature of this wearable has to be the 'Choose Your Look' app, that allows the watch dial to match seamlessly with your outfit by asking you, the wearer a few things such as what colour you're wearing, what time of day is it, tone of the jewelery and down to the colour of your purse or handbag.
- Totwoo (pronounced 'To-Two-o')
You've heard of Swarovski crystals, well, Chinese brand Totwoo is giving them an upgrade. This style factor paired with the brand's belief that jewelry is a way to enhance emotional connections amongst ourselves has resulted in their Memory line. Memory enables users to upload precious videos, audios or pictures and store them to the jewelry via Bluetooth and Totwoo App. So now your priceless memories are stored with you, or makes a superb gift for a loved one. That's not all, ability to pair up your Totwoo with that someone so messages can be sent by merely tapping the jewelry, and sending virtual emotions.
Like your usual smart device, it calculates your daily steps, consumed calories, reminder to get moving and has UV monitoring. There's also a version with a hands-free smart camera, and doubles as an innovation in self care serving you reminders to 'hydrate yourself' or 'take a break.'
- Opter - POSE- The Smart Posture Necklace (available for preorder)
So you made a new years resolution to improve your posture, however, things haven't gone according to plan. Enter, the Opter necklace! It works to improve posture by vibrating when you slouch either forward or sideways, so that you're immediately made aware and try to fix it . But, the features don't stop there, Pose sends a phone notification when it’s time to slather on sunscreen while measuring how harsh the UV is and how long you’re exposed. The necklace also aids in improving your sleep quality by monitoring when you sleep, when you wake up, and how much light you’re getting throughout the day — the most important influences on your body’s circadian rhythm.
Then there's another on of our resolutions, the one that involves more exercise. Well, when Pose finds you've been bumming it for too long, it reminds you to get up and get moving, and track your steps, calories and amount of weekly exercise.
- Oura Ring
Oura comes equipped with Sleep, Readiness and Activity Insights. The ring keeps track of your nightly sleep cycle regarding amount and timing of deep, REM, light sleep, and possible awake time during the night. It then analyses how these affect your sleep quality to guide you to an optimal sleep schedule and maintaining your sleep rhythm for more rested night's sleep. Oura also of course makes note of your steps, calories and inactivity during the day to help you balance out recovery time with workout time.
Heart rate, body temperature and respiratory rate and when is the best time for you to rest and recover after you've been active.
And the sleek look of the Oura ring makes it easily wearable for everyday.
- Sakhi Smart Bracelet (Available later on in 2019)
This customizable charm bracelet's most notable feature isn't how pretty it is, but rather it's ability to safeguard women since it connects to a designated guardian network. Once activated, Sakhī jewelry transmits your GPS location to your safety network and sends live audio feed of the surroundings. It will also be able to connect to nearby Sakhi devices (upto 1km/0.6mile) and forms a second path of communication. In unsafe situations an SOS call is activated by either tapping it 3 times, or pressing both crystals simultaneously.A mild-panic (call-me) signal can be activated by double-tap. And another of Sakhī's main selling point is that connectivity among devices does not require a subscription to any monthly or yearly data plan making it cost effective.
Will you be adding some wearables to your wardrobe?
6 Bag Designers You'll Absolutely Love!
Bags, to me, are the accessory to end all accessories. They're cute, yet functional and there's one to go with any outfit imaginable on this planet or another. Bags also never ever go out of style and likely will never so you don't have to worry about changing it with the seasons (though that's not something I'm opposed to.)
In the olden days, it was known as a reticule, built to carry the bare necessities (of back then)- rouge, powder a fan and the occasional perfume.
But, in the 19th century they became more of a fashion statement and women have been adding them to their outfits to serve lewks ever since!
Here you can check out 6 local bag designers that I think you'll absolutely adore!
Jovew by Makisa- https://www.jovewbymakisa.com/
Drevait- @drevaitofficial on IG
K Fensom- @kfensomtrinidad on IG
Tobago Bag- @tobagobag on IG
Jhenella Isaac Luxury Bags- @jhenellaisaacluxuryhandbags on IG
AniBrook- @aniciabrooks on IG
12 Local Jewellery Brands To Know
I’ll be totally honest with you all, I’m not quite the jewellery wearer. I have the same plain stud earrings on all year through, I wear a necklace once every 6 months, I’ll probably throw a ring on if I remember, and that’s pretty much it. BUT that doesn’t mean I don’t take note of all the local jewellery brands that are absolutely killing it!
So here’s 12 local jewellery brands I think you should know about and shop from of course!
My 7 Wardrobe Essentials
Clothes, all of us wear it, some of us hate it, some of us love it, and surely we buy a lot of it! I'm guilty of buying all of the clothes and then wearing the same 3 things over and over. And due to this, I technically always have something to wear because I can easily throw on any of my faves at any time and call it an outfit!
If you want to know what's my 7 wardrobe essentials, the things I wear over and over and over and never get tired of, then you can keep reading this post.
•Dark wash jeans- Out of all the colours, dark wash has to be my favourite- for two reasons.1, I am clumsy and any light coloured clothing is always at risk with me and 2, on those days I might need these thighs to appear slimmer, they come in absolutely clutch. Also, dark wash denim goes with pretty much anything I decide to pair it with, lighter washes, not so much which easily makes this one of the easiest pieces in my closet to wear. I go for a black of course, but if all else fails, navy is the next darkest shade I turn to.
•A sweatshirt- Listen, stress free dressing is my forte. Spending hours finding an outfit is not a thing I do, so sweatshirts are one of my most favouritest (yes I said that) pieces in the world! I can throw on some heels and make it extra cute. I can wear my oversized ones as dresses and pair it with a comfy and casual pair of sneaks, or some sandals and I am fully dressed. I also have two separate collections, my work sweatshirts and my going out sweatshirts because I mean, if it aint broke, don't fix it, right?!
•A Chunky Heel- I actually wear heels about once every 6 months, but still, its a very needed item in my wardrobe. However, I'm at that stage in my life where I'm so over stilettos because my feet hurt 3 seconds immediately after putting them on, so now chunky heels are my go-to! They're so stinking cute, they're comfy, reasonably priced and don't always make me look too dressed up if I'm looking for that cool but still diva balance I sometimes need.
•Strappy Sandals- I'm a sandal girl to my heart and the strappier, the better. Truth be told, I could use some more sandals because I'm stuck on buying the same brown colour in so many different styles, it's time to expand my horizons. But, its always hot in Trinidad and my toes do not like confinement so it makes sense to own a ridiculous amount of cute strappy sandals so that I can wear them all the time!
•A Little Olive Dress - My friends have tried to get me to stop buying olive coloured clothing, but its my money and I'll do what I want.☺️Because of my VERY yellow undertone, olive loves me and I love it, what more reasoning do I need? However out of all the olive things I own, my favourite has to be a spaghetti strapped stretch dress which I've probably worn every way possible in combination with the other things I own. It's been paired with heels, sneakers, a denim jacket, a cute cardigan and with each look its still looks great!
•(Some) Graphic Tees- Given my face always says what's on my mind, I like my t-shirts to do the same. So, I have a sarcastic tee or two, or ten that I keep on hand for when I think folks should have a fair warning before I even open my mouth. Like my sweatshirts I tend to dress these up or down depending on my mood, the occasion or however I see fit at the point in time at which I'm getting dressed. They're an easy wear as well as they pair with just about anything.
•Palazzo Pants- What are jeans? Not a thing I enjoy as I prefer the notion of no pants, however if I must, please let it be palazzo. They're so easy, breezy and come in the cutest prints that are hard to say no to (which is why I own several pairs). One store that surely fuels my Palazzo addiction is The London Clothing Company as I usually pick them up there for between $100- $200 and the material is great, the fit is amazing and for me the price is just right for something I get so many wears out of.
So tell me, what are your closet must haves?
Is Your Pedi Ready?
In the Caribbean its always sandal season. Yeah sure we have the rainy season but it doesn't stop me. Does it stop you?
Because we have this sandal wearing advantage all year round, we should know some Caribbean brands making it possible to show off a fresh pedi to any event with any outfit.
- Jamaica Sandal Company ( Jamaica)- Hand-crafted just for you, JaSandalCo has a signature style unlike any other sandal brand ,Caribbean based or otherwise. Search the tag #sandalporn and its clear as a dry season day which pairs stand alllll the way out, inspiring total shoegasms. Where to purchase? www.jamaicasandalco.com is the place to be!
(Images via Instagram @jasandalco)
- Zaveza (Trinidad)- from head to toe, Zaveza quietly whispers to accessory junkie 'Hey girl! Those would look so great on you'. For the Bold, the Brave, the Fearless- Zaveza brings your most colourful accessory dreams to life in any pair of sandal you could ever want. Available in sizes 5-13 there's a pair with your, your friend's and your sister's name on it. Make your feet happy and purchase here.
( Images via Instagram @shopzaveza)
- Territory VI ( Virgin Islands)- sandals AND prints? Yes please! T6 seeks to spread the good vibes through fashion with limited edition pieces featuring semi-precious stones and beadwork and batik & tribal prints. For me each pair represents a distinct personality so much so that I could give them all names of my own. Get the Six right here.
( Images from Instagram @territory_vi)
- Shoan's Collections (Jamaica)- Shoan's mission is to #CrownYourFeet and it's been accomplished 10 times over and over. In case you like to stay a few inches above ground Shoan isn't just about flats but have the heels to match and yes they're handmade too. Get yourself some Shoan!
( Images from Instagram @shoanscollections)
To get any of these amazing sandals just click on the links within the article 😉
Living in the Caribbean really does have its perks. I could to go beach any day at any time and have a beastly cold Stag (my beer of choice), and the weather (even if its pouring rain) is just right. For most the mantra is 'Sun's out, buns out' and I don't blame them one bit! If you're obsessed with the beach like me, swimwear and beach accessories always catch your eye, even when you have a drawer full of bathing suits that still have tags ( Please tell me I'm not the only one). But seriously, if you're looking to get your Baywatch on, you've come to the right place.
- Miakalani Swim (Jamaica)- Everyone has a swimsuit body and with just a few days until the official website launch(www.miakalaniswim.com) Miakalani has the one for you! Daring or more conservative? Its okay Miakalani is mastering the balance of comfort and sexy whatever your style may be.
(Images from Instagram @miakalaniswim)
- Jae Jolly (Jamaica)- If you get mistaken for a celebrity on vacation I could honestly see why. Jae-Jolly is serving up that one-of-a-kind, private island luxury kind of resort/ swimwear. Each piece allows you a unique experience you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT find with swimwear from anywhere else. Does anyone else look at clothing and could tell wearing it gonna end up a WHOLE scene?
(Images from Instagram @jaejolly)
- Dominic Hutch (Trinidad)- Guys, I'm so sorry I often leave you all out, but not this time 😀 This is your version of the itsy bitsy teenie weenie bikini. Que the slow mo beach run. There's prints to match your personality to a T from subtle to BOLD and anything that could quite possibly be in between.
(Images from Instagram @dominichutch)
- Suga Apple Swim (Barbados)- Suga Suga how you get so fly? Nah, for real, I think that song was written with this brand in mind because MY GOODNESS! So many shapes for so many body types Suga Apple will have you lookin the flyest!
(Images from Instagram @sugaappleswim)
- Vivre By Chelsea (Trinidad)- When Chelsea said 'Only for the DOPE' she wasn't playin. Vivre is dripping in Caribbean sex appeal that really fascinates and excites and aren't for the faint of heart. Want that head turning, jaw-dropping, have them drooling type swimwear? The you've come to the right place.
(Images from Instagram @vivrebychelsea)
- Tobago Bag (Trinidad & Tobago) - The quintessential beach/travel bag is made right here! Big enough for these beach towels but not too big that you get carried away (like I usually do). The simple elegance of these bags make them easy to carry in so many situations that can come up in your vacation travels. Honestly, it's the 'IT Travel Bag'.
(Images from Instagram @tobagobag)
- Drevait (Trinidad)- Drevait could proudly say that they've designed every Tropical Traveler's dream tote. Put these bags to your ear and I'm sure you could hear the ocean. The latest collection so rightfully called 'Wanderer' fits all your vacay must-haves while you look like the chicest travel blogger around.
(Images from Instagram @drevaitofficial)
- Timberwear Inc (Jamaica)- (Guys you're included in this one too) When last have you seen HANDMADE sunglasses right here in the Caribbean? And don't lie.... Made with 1 part brilliance, 1 part fresh to deathness, 2 parts Caribbean Excellence and probably the most important thing... Teak! Timberwear is sure to make you the belle(or beau) of the beach!
(Images from Instagram @timberwearinc)
- Kitanilly Basics (Trinidad) - Sometimes we like to keep em guessin, so we prefer coverups (this is me when I don't shave my legs). Kitanilly came through with the Kaftan, Kimono, Throwover- if you can cover up with it she's made it. My fave thing is these transition to so many occasions. Its the all purpose vacation piece you need in that travel bag.
(Images from Instagram @kitanillybasics)
Vacation time is slowly creeping up and my wish for you is that your toughest decision will be bikini or monokini 👙
7 Trends I Love!
If you've seen my last post on the '7 Trends To Ditch', you're probably wondering what trends I'm actually cool with! So here goes: (Images- Fashionmagazine.com/ Glamradar.com) (Images- Getty Images/ Gurl.com/ WhoWhatWear ) (Images- 360Nobs/ Zimbio/ DressMeOutlet/ Harper's Bazzar ) (Images- Concrete Runway/ Style Pantry/ WhoWhatWear/ Star Celebrity Dresses) (Images- Latte Samuels/ Young At Style/ Pinterest/ Style Pantry) (Images- Pinterest/ NYMag/ Puma) (Images- Officially Adrian Foster/ Style Pantry/ Getty Images/ Pinterest) These are just a few of my faves at the moment( Its clear from this list I'm not an accessories person *hides face*) and its in no way exhaustive! Do you have some fashion faves? Leave them in the comments💕
(Images- Fashionmagazine.com/ Glamradar.com)
(Images- Getty Images/ Gurl.com/ WhoWhatWear )
(Images- 360Nobs/ Zimbio/ DressMeOutlet/ Harper's Bazzar )
(Images- Concrete Runway/ Style Pantry/ WhoWhatWear/ Star Celebrity Dresses)
(Images- Latte Samuels/ Young At Style/ Pinterest/ Style Pantry)
(Images- Pinterest/ NYMag/ Puma)
(Images- Officially Adrian Foster/ Style Pantry/ Getty Images/ Pinterest)
These are just a few of my faves at the moment( Its clear from this list I'm not an accessories person *hides face*) and its in no way exhaustive!
Do you have some fashion faves? Leave them in the comments💕
7 Trends to Ditch: Caribbean Edition
There are pieces of clothing that are total must haves, like a blazer for example. These next 7 pieces are NOTHING like that.
- Distressed (Tops/Dresses)- Unless you're actually in distress you shouldn't be looking like it. I really don't know when, how and why this became a trend but when you purposely put holes in your clothing to look more 'stylish', then I really have to wonder if your sanity is intact. Where are you even wearing this to except for maybe Jouvert morning?
- (Faux) Fur-We live in a Tropical climate. Why do you need fur? No! you are not the girl Flo Rida was talking about. Are you not sweating in these things? As intriguing as fur may look and feel, it simply isn't made for sweltering heat.
- Shorts unzipped & unbuttoned- is this intentional or do you require some assistance? If the pants are too small and cannot be buttoned/zipped then you shouldn't be wearing it entirely. If however, you think it looks cute, I have news for you- it ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT. I'm so fed up of scrolling through fete pictures throughout the different fete seasons and seeing this, I immediately want to pelt away my phone or laptop.
- Lace up Bodysuits- Did you actually get dressed if it wasn't a lace up bodysuit? Honestly speaking, my issue isn't with the bodysuit in particular. Its that people choose to wear it every-heffin-where. I kid you not, I have seen people dressed for work in this blazer et al . Yup, we've gone MAD!
- Catsuit (jumpsuit)- Are you Catwoman? If you answered no, but have a Catsuit, fling it away immediately. Imagine my horror recently when I discovered a distressed catsuit. But really and truly, if you do not have a dance recital to be at, or auditioning for the role of Catwoman, please refrain from the suit.
- Too Much Body Jewelry- Picture this: a person wearing a leg chain, body chain, choker with extra hanging pieces and full arm cuff. Are you a lagahoo(loup garou)? Then you need not be dragging so many chains around. Honestly, the only person this trend works for is Dylan Lex and that's because she makes it.
- Leggings- Once again my issue isn't with the legging, its where and how its being worn. At work its a No No, I don't care if its Casual Friday- cover your ass. Of course there's an ongoing debate if leggings are real pants and yes it is, once worn 'correctly'.
As we all know fashion fades but (personal)style is forever. So I think we should tuck these all away in the fading fashion folder and move on. For me these things are just a Big Fat
Share with me what are some of the trends you've had enough of!