So a few weeks ago I decided to pose the question, “Can you name 3 local designers?” to a Facebook group with 3000 + members. And yes I got lotsssss of responses, the majority being Meiling, Claudia Pegus and Heather Jones, now I’m not mad these one bit as these designers are iconic and pioneers in our local (and regional) fashion industry, but, I was mildly disappointed knowing there’s a bevy of up and coming designers whose names should be etched into our brains.
And that’s where I come in, I’m here to introduce you to a weeee cross section of these fabulous designers that sure as hell deserve our undivided attention and SUPPORT!
Okay…Ready?! Let’s go!
- Adrian Foster– one of my absolute favourites from the get go, both locally and ever! His ability to be on trend EVERY DAMN TIME is amazing. Each piece created boasts clean lines, sleek chic and polished finishes and that anti-figurative component that makes every modern day minimalist swoon. My favourite part is also how effortlessly any piece of his can be incorporated into an everyday wardrobe. From shirt dresses to wrap skirts to trousers that seems to make legs go on for ever and ever.I think its safe to say Adrian is well on his way to becoming a staple in your wardrobe, the fashion industry and life as we know it!
(Images Taken from Instagram @officiallyadrianfoster)
- CLD: Charu Lochan Dass– “Who run the world?!?! Girls!!!” This is what runs through my mind at the sound of those three letters- CLD. Charu embodies The Woman with each piece so much so that I feel more empowered just by looking at them. With lines inspired by ordinary women who lead extraordinary lives; femininity, elegance, class and of course pure sex appeal make its way into each look.Powerful, Sophisticated, Sexy! CLD!
( Images Taken from Facebook @ CLD- Charu Lochan Dass)
- Aisling Knits (Aisling Camps)- Forget everything you know about your granny’s knitting and prepare your mind and fashion savvy for a whole new world of knitwear. Since seeing her knits I’ve been taken COMPLETELY by her ability to make knitwear so absolutely Chic and appropriate for so many occasions. I believe I even saw something on her IG about knitting a wedding dress. Yeah… Ikr,wda! But it proves to us how capable, in tuned with consumer needs and exceptionally talented Aisling really is. So open your mind to this new knitworld and Aisling, its not all about the scarves and sweaters but sooooo much more. (BTW when the pics of that wedding dress are out best believe they will end up here)
(Images Taken From Instagram @aislingcamps)
- Rebel (Sian McIntosh)- What would this list be without a swimsuit designer?!?!? NOTHING! Now I have a personal fear of the itsy bitsy teeny weeny bikini, but this girl’s swimsuits usually have me lusting after them for days after laying eye on it ,however , I’m still not brave enough. But to my confident, beauty, sexy as hell female counterparts go forth and conquer in the teenie weenies! The variety brought to the table here also intrigues me about this swimsuit designer. She’s got whole swimsuits, the classic bikini, bandeau tops, gathered bottoms, capped sleeve crop tops, even kids swimsuits!!!! Is there anything for the waterside that CANNOT be made??? When it comes to the Rebel brand I don’t think so!
(Images Taken From Instagram @rebelusian)
- Koko Karibi Designs (Jacqueline Charles) – You know the expression art imitates life? Well, Koko Karibi’s designs are a pretty much a biography. Each bracelet, earring, ring and chain tells a unique story of its inspiration as well as the story of the creative mind behind them. Branded as contemporary and avant garde, every accessory adds a wealth of personality and another level of intrigue simply by wearing it. What I love even more is that you can tell the designer’s passion and love for her craft and it makes me super excited to see passion through designers’ work!
( Images Taken from Facebook – Koko Karibi Designs and Instagram @kokokaribidesigns)
Okay,I think I’ve done enough talking for one post. So I’ll leave on a note that this list is in no way exhaustive go forth and find you some more local designers( or just ask me) ! So live, explore, navigate your life in style and SUPPORT LOCAL!